Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Not the BEACHY-EST.


Brian has the week off this week, so we decided to check one Texas activity off of our list! We headed to Corpus Christy to beach it! I was so excited, but I was so glad people told me NOT TO EXPECT.... well- ANYTHING. Corpus was quaint and beach townish with a touch of ghetto. (K, maybe more than a touch...) The sand isn't really sand, but rather broken shell bits. The palm trees seemed to be grasping for life or just dead. The water was warm though and the first day gave lots of waves due to wind. (which was also quite deafening....HU???). We thought we had been on the sand for hours, with head aches and tan lines, we went up to our room and realized it had only been 45 minutes. We promptly asked each other WAIT, WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE? We mustered up strength to endure another few hours, just for Lex, who was having the best time ever creating a SEA SHELL collection! Later, we chose the best of the three "hole in the wall" restaurants for dinner, "Pier 99". (Which was actually really good.)  Went back to the hotel, hot tubbed it, showered and crashed.
The next morning we were trying to decide if we should run for the hills or stay...... Lexi convinced us she was having "HER BEST BEACH EVER" so out of love, we stayed. (tho, we did correct her and told her that her best beach was actually VA beach... she just didn't remember) The wind  and waves were gone the second day, so we went down to wade through the water and add to our shell collection. I was walking through the water, in search of WHOLE SHELLS, when a little 6yr old boy came running to me and told me to "GET OUT OF THE WATER!" I looked down and everywhere- JELLY FISH! I got out without getting stung, not sure how I even missed them....... they were all over in the water and washed up on shore. So SWIMMING at the beach was OUT. Taking jelly fish pictures- IN!

These are MOON JELLY FISH.

These are SEA NETTLE JELLY FISH

My underwater camera, stupid brain and brave arm got these shots. Apparently, this Nettle is a potent stinger, while the Moon is not so much.
There were tiny baby ones, 2ft ones and ones as big as your face! Sweet! (No, not really.)
Oh, and when your husband tells you NOT to feed the birds, its best to listen. Lexi and I almost got our eyes pecked out from ONE CRUMB of bread. I grabbed her and got us off the balcony JUST in time! These guys wouldn't go away! I swear they were THREATENING ME IF I DIDN'T OPEN THE DOOR! (Not even joking! These birds weren't messing around....)
I'm glad I went, YES! Will I go back? Probably not. Will I ever brag that I'm only 2 1/2 hrs from the beach? Well, I can tell you I am 2 1/2 hrs from some dirt that hurts to walk in and water you cant swim in! Ill leave the beaches to Cali, FL, VA and yes, even MD has an amazing beach. Texas, not so much.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Hilarious!! At least you can say "been there, done that"! Jelly fish love warm water... LOVE your shots!!

Lacey said...

This post makes me so happy we just moved just outside of Corpus! ;) But in it's defense, there are a ton of "normal" restaurants and shopping malls. Believe me, I googled it all before we moved her. Gymboree? check. Target? Check. JoAnn's Fabric? Check. ;)

We haven't been to the beach so thanks for the heads up! I'll just plan on spending a lot of time this summer at Sea World!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

OH MY goodness!!! Can't BELIEVE those jellyfish! I still have scars from my jellyfish run-in on our honeymoon! I'm terrified of them for life. WE are less than 2 1/2 hours from the beach, ya know??? Maybe you need to bring Lexi back to a MD beach!

jbel said...

oh, awesome story! Drew and I have one of those from when we looking for different beaches back east. we stayed at some dump, hole in the wall. but hey, i think we got Em out of it. over sharing, oops!
glad to see a new post!

tylerandmommy said...

Those jellyfish look creepy!! I hope you didn't actually go in the water with them! What kind of underwater camera do you have?